Here is how it works
1. Resin Tank: The water softener system consists of a resin tank filled with tiny resin beads. These beads are typically made of a polystyrene matrix that has been chemically modified to possess negatively charged functional groups.
2. Ion Exchange Process: When hard water flows into the resin tank, the calcium and magnesium ions in the water are attracted to the negatively charged resin beads. The resin beads have a higher affinity for these hardness ions compared to other ions present in the water.
3. Ion Replacement: As the hard water passes through the resin bed, the calcium and magnesium ions attach to the resin beads, displacing the sodium or potassium ions that were initially present on the resin.
4. Softened Water Output: The water that exits the resin tank is now "softened" as the majority of the calcium and magnesium ions have been replaced by sodium or potassium ions. This soft water is then distributed throughout the plumbing system for various household uses.
5. Regeneration: Over time, the resin beads become saturated with calcium and magnesium ions, and the system needs to be regenerated to restore its ion exchange capacity. This is typically done by flushing the resin bed with a concentrated salt solution known as brine. The brine solution contains a high concentration of sodium or potassium ions, which are more strongly attracted to the resin beads than the calcium and magnesium ions. The brine solution displaces the hardness ions from the resin, and the wastewater containing the removed hardness minerals is flushed out of the system.
6. Resin Recharge: After the regeneration process, the resin bed is rinsed to remove excess brine and is ready to start the ion exchange process again. The water softener system resumes its operation of exchanging hardness ions with sodium or potassium ions, ensuring a continuous supply of softened water.
Benefits of Resin Based Water Softener
Removes harsh minerals: The water softening system successfully remove excess harsh minerals from water and improves its quality with a process called ion exchange.
Improves the span of your appliances: Hard water can cause great damage to your domestic and commercial appliances. It can lead to corrosion and rust, making your appliances wear out faster. Water softeners eliminate harsh components from the water, thus improving the lifespan of your appliances. This makes them ideal for home, kitchen and household purposes.
Protects skin and hair: Highly mineralized water can have a considerable impact on your skin and hair. It can cause skin irritation, dull and dry hair, dehydrated skin and much more. A water softener system enables you to get rid of the excess harsh minerals and chemicals from the water. It softens the water and helps you overcome several skin and hair issues.
Suitable for multiple applications: Soft water obtained from a water softener can be used for an array of applications and appliances. The softened water is suitable for washing dishes, clothes, cooking and industrial applications as well.
It's important to note that resin-based water softeners require the periodic addition of salt or potassium pellets to the system to enable the regeneration process. This ensures that the resin beads can effectively remove hardness minerals from the water.
Resin-based water softeners are widely used in residential and commercial settings to alleviate the negative effects of hard water, such as scale buildup on pipes and appliances, reduced soap efficiency, and rough-feeling skin and hair. Book Free Demo